Wednesday, April 10, 2013




Retro-house  at Number One in the UK!

Time travel, virtually, but slamming tune.

Ever so vaguely it reminds me of this, from '92



Earlier discussion of the house revival. House music, a genre that is a year or two shy of its thirtieth birthday.

Now this particular house revival (late 80s/early 90s template, refurbished) is competing with another house revival (late 90s model), i.e. the UK garage/2step resurgence (also discussed earlier).

When in London last week I stepped into a trendy clothes boutique off Brick Lane and was surprised by the music playing, which could easily have been a EZ mix from 1999 or a show I'd have taped off Freek FM or Mack FM back in the day.  Slinky bump 'n 'flex.

I couldn't resist asking one of the staff, "so is this what the youth are listening to these days?" Mistaking my purpose, the  lightly bearded young man patiently explained that "it's old skool garage", to which I tartly replied "yeah I remember it from the first time around". Then I asked again  if this fourteen year old sound was what the youngsters currently favoured. Looking ever so slightly startled, the young man said that "garage is having a bit of a resurgence at the moment."   "Cool," I said, and there being nothing left to say, exited the store. But really I'm not so sure it is cool.